Thursday, June 5, 2008

Continue My Education

I have been pondering the question of continuing my education so that I am eligible to teach more classes. I will only need 18 graduate credits to do so. I need to consider which courses to take. I am considering Criminal Justice as I see many places looking for instructors in these courses. I have not done the research yet to see how much this would cost me and weigh it against how much I could make to see if it is worth it. What does everyone else think? Good idea or bad idea?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would do English or Math. CJ instructors must have several years of CJ work experience along with the 18 hours. Look at it this way: no one is going to hire an instructor with no work experience in the field to teach a class full of cops. They'd laugh you right out of there.

I do have a CJ grad certificate but I also have five years experience in CJ. I'm going to get Soc courses next so I can also teach Soc. (I also have 18 grad hours in Eng and Communications so I'm teaching 4-5 subjects and getting ready to add another -- lots cheaper than getting a phd).

Go for Eng or Math. Every student has to take more than one Eng or Math Gen Ed course so there's always a need for that.

Online Adjuncter said...

English would be something that is "doable" for me. That is a good suggestion to ponder. Thank you!

IPG said...

I would also consider Healthcare. I am an IT person so Healthcare is a natural progression since I already teach some Healtcare Information Systems courses...

Also blogger doesn't want me to spell it healthcare...but that is how people in the industry spell it. GRRR.

There is always a need in this area. I am not talking about nursing, but more health science, health infomatics, etc.

IPG said...

Here is a hint....VP has done several of these graduate certificates at a discounted rate. :) She claims she no longer has the links....but I am trying to wait her out! ha!