Monday, September 15, 2008

Thinking about certification

I am thinking about getting some kind of "certification". I have a degree in psychology, however due to unfortunate circumstancing involving my practicum supervisor and lung cancer I was not able to complete it and therefore am not eligible for state liscensure.

So I have been looking at becoming a Nationally Certified Psychologist. I have been reading about it at the North American Association of Masters in Psychology. The trouble I am running into is how do I determine if this is a legitimate certification or a pound of bologna?

Any suggestions or experience from anyone?

2 comments:

Reuben South said...

In my experience it really pays to do the research and know exactly where you are headed. It may sound general, but sometimes the simplest answer is best. For a certification I would gather recommendations or testimonials about the program and learn where a certificate will land you. You may even look into the school itself. Many are ranked and that can determine how much credit you can give them. I'm currently in the process of applying for my own Online Psychology Degree since I have a full-time job and a family to watch over. The internet is an excellent resource and you should have no trouble filtering out the credible schools from the scams.

Manos said...

Personally, I think it's luncheon meat. Really, it depends on what you want to do. If you're inclined to look for clinical work, check the state licensing board in psychology to determine what designations (e.g., licensed psychological examiner, psychological associate) they recognize at your degree and experience level. Many states refuse to accept education / certification from non-APA programs, including those online.

With regard to online teaching in psychology, I don't think certification adds anything to the equation. These days, most schools are looking for a doctorate in psychology, regardless of your background area or degree specialization. I've taught everything from History and Systems to Organizational Management to Research & Design even though my background is more traditional counseling.

BTW, I like your Simpsonized self!