Friday, May 16, 2008

Begging for Grades

I don't think I would be surprised to see some students parked outside my house holding "Will Work for Grades" sign. It never suprises me how much effort students will put into raising their grade instead of putting effort in when they should, on the assignment.

Case in point - student emails me because they did not turn their final paper in. I tell them that they did not turn the paper in and thus they receive no grade for the assignment (duh). Two weeks later I receive a longer email again asking again to accept the assignment. Would it not have been easier to take the time to write the actual paper than pandering for points?

This reminds me of the special education students I work with whose bad behavior results in them not having privileges (games with friends etc.) Instead of not fighting with peers, arguing with teachers, being a brat, etc. so that they have the privilege to play with their friends, they act like little heathens and then spend time arguing with me about why their bad behavior is okay.

The similarities make me shudder.

1 comment:

IPG said...

I dislike to the nth degree this "can I get some extra credit emails?" I do not mind if they are questioning my grade because of a legit reason, but I put my foot down on the extra credit!

I also hate explaining "Yes it was only a 100 point assignment, but it was a 100 point assignment worth 30 percent of your grade."