Monday, May 5, 2008

The Search Continues

Now that summer is coming quickly upon us and the prospect of having no income for two months is nipping at my heels I have redoubled the efforts I have been making all year to find more universities to work for. As many of you know job hunting is another full time job as you sort through who has openings, who wants transcripts, who wants applications filled out, and who just wants CV's. Those who accept electronic submissions of my CV and an electronic copy of my transcripts are my favorite submission. I typically don't apply to places that want official copies of my transcripts with the application as these cost me money. I am more than willing to give you official copies upon employment, but you do not need them before hand.

I have recently, within the last month, received referrals from colleagues to their universities, however I have not heard anything as of yet, however as the wheels of academia move at a glacial pace this is to be expected. I have been surprised that as of late I have actually received replies from universities. Normally I did not receive any reply, now I am receiving the "nothing available now but we will keep you on file." I guess you can look at that as some sort of progress in the sense that I now merit a response? :)

As one reader (I am happy that someone is reading my blog!) has commented I am working way to hard. I have to concur. I have even started applying to local universities to work in the dreaded administration. Part of me detests the idea of becoming "the man" however I am also aware that I need some stable income and the positions I am interviewing for will look shiny on my resume. I have one phone interview later this week, I am unsure what I think of this position as I don't have much respect for the establishment itself (it has a reputation in my town as both a glorified community college and a sinking ship), however with the right elements it could be an enjoyable job. Some of you are probably incredulous at this point thinking how could I even consider working for someplace I have little respect for? Be assured I am aware of the hypocrisy of this situation, however I am also aware that I have student loans to pay, a mortgage, a car payment, and right now need three jobs to make a living wage. Pairing this with the limited job openings in my particular area of the country I am more than willing to eat a big serving of hypocrisy soup for a couple of years if it will help me move onto greener pastures! I will keep everyone updated if I will be eating gourmet soup or in the soup kitchen this summer.

No comments: