Monday, May 19, 2008

Extra Credit Nazi

I feel like pointing at all my students and yelling "NO EXTRA CREDIT FOR YOU!" For the love of god students if you read the assignments, put forth minimal effort, and turn in your assignments on time you should be able to pull a strong "C" in my class. Yet without fail every term at least one student who has been slacking off thinks they can come to me and I will give them extra credit.

I have a theory on this, I think that public school teachers, under the strain of NCLB now frequently give out extra credit in order to keep the grades up. Following this logic these snowflakes, who are already so egocentric that they are only capable of seeing things from their point of view, come to college where it is a whole different ball game. Unfortunately they don't know the rules, and when the rules are explained to them they don't seem to think they can apply to them.

How do I deal with this? I tell them a) I do not offer extra credit, they need to show they are capable of doing with work for the grade with the assignments I clearly outlined in the syllabus and b) the reason I do not offer extra credit to them is because I would have to offer it to everyone in the class. If they do not understand why I do not do that I refer them to reason "A". :) Some of the students say I am being bitchy, I say I am showing them tough love.

1 comment:

IPG said...

I don't like dealing with extra credit because extra credit just means EXTRA WORK FOR ME.

I refuse refuse to deal with it. Do the paper as requested and then you won't need all these extra points. :(

Sigh....